Winter is coming, and with it comes colder weather, harsher winds, and dryer air…and an onslaught of skincare concerns. This week we’ve teamed up with The Body Shop to find out what some of the most common concerns are, which products they’d recommend, and some tips and tricks to keep our skin happy this cold season.
Some common skincare concerns that The Body Shop hears from customers during the winter months are…
- Dry, sensitive skin
- Redness of the skin
- Irritated or increased eczema
- Irritated or increased psoriasis
- Inquiries about how to protect their skin from the elements, such as harsh winds
If you’ve found yourself struggling with any of these concerns, keep reading – we’ve got recommended products, as well as tips and tricks below!
The Hemp Line
The Body Shop’s Hard-Working Hemp products provide 24 hours of moisture! So when the dry winter air is sucking the moisture right out of your skin, you can restore that lost moisture for a solid 24 hours with these great products.
If you suffer from dry, cracked feet in the winter months, then the Hard-Working Foot Protector is just what you need! It will protect your feet while also restoring any lost moisture.
As much as we’d all like to, most of us can’t escape the dreaded winter chore of shoveling snow. For some of us, this is the only time we are stuck outdoors for prolonged periods of time. However, some of us have jobs that require us to be outside, and some of us love winter sports! Whatever your reason is for being outside, you’ll want to check out The Body Shop’s Hemp Hard-Working Face Protector. This product will provide your face with heavy-duty hydration while providing relief to dry patches, all while protecting your skin from the harsh outdoor elements.
Vitamin E is great for protecting your skin against damaging effects from the environment, such as pollution and UVA/UVB rays.
The Body Shop’s Vitamin E Intense Moisture Cream is a daily moisturizer that provides 72 hour moisture! So if you suffer from extra-dry skin in the winter months and aren’t interested in having to re-apply moisturizer throughout the day, you’ll definitely want to pick this up!
Looking to pamper yourself with a cozy night in during the winter? Check out these Vitamin E masks that will keep your skin moisturized while also giving you that pampered experience.
The Body Shop’s Aloe line is great if you have sensitive skin and are cautious about which products you want to try – anyone with sensitive skin will know just how frustrating it can be to purchase a new product to find that it further irritates your skin rather than providing relief. Luckily, aloe vera has long been used as a remedy for hydrating dry, flaky skin. The Body Shop’s Aloe line is fragrance-free and alcohol-free, so it can keep your sensitive skin calm and happy while providing moisture.
Check out the Aloe Vera Soothing Day Cream to provide soothing comfort while calming and protecting your sensitive facial skin throughout the day.
Have a hard time finding face washes that both effectively cleanse your skin and keep it from getting irritated? Try the Aloe Vera Calming Cream Cleanser. It will gently cleanse your skin and leave it feeling hydrated rather than dry and irritated.
Keep the moisture going through the night with the Aloe Vera Soothing Night Cream!
Our face isn’t the only area on our body that suffers from dry skin during the winter. The Body Shop’s Body Butters provide up to 48 hours of hydration, so you’ll only have to apply it once and then you’re good to go for the whole day!
If you love scents that leave you feeling like you’re on vacation, you’ll love the Coconut Oil Body Butter! Not a fan of coconut? That’s okay – they’ve got 10 unique scents to choose from, so you’re sure to find one that will make both your skin and your nose happy!
Tips and Tricks
We asked The Body Shop if they had any tips or tricks to get the most out of our skincare products and protect our skin.
Here were their top tips:
- Don’t put your cream onto dry skin! Instead, use a face spray or a body oil first so that your moisturizing cream is locking in that moisture. Or, try putting your moisturizer on straight out of the shower while your skin is still damp. If you put cream right onto your dry skin and start rubbing it in, it will more likely result in you roughly tugging at your skin, and will make you more prone to premature wrinkles.
- Avoid using harsh exfoliants when trying to remove dead skin. Physical exfoliants, such as scrubs containing beads, can create micro-tears in your skin, furthering damage rather than helping your skin.
- Use pure shea butter on areas of your skin that are extra dry.
- Don’t neglect your hair! We often worry about our skin during the harsh winter months, but we forget that our hair is having to brave the elements and is sustaining damage from the cold, dry air as well. Try doing a hair mask once a week to replenish moisture in your hair. Or, for a daily treatment, you can apply pure shea butter to the ends of your hair to protect it where it’s more prone to dryness and breaking.
Our winters are cold, harsh, and dry, so it’s important to protect our skin against these elements, and put as much moisture back into it as we can with quality products! We hope this guide helped you find solutions to your winter skincare woes, or provided you with some new ways to get the most out of your existing products.
Do you have a winter skincare concern that wasn’t addressed here? Head over to The Body Shop on the main level by Entrance 3 for guidance on how to best address your concerns – they’ll be able to recommend amazing products, as well as how to use them to get the best results.